Friday, March 28, 2008

Marketing woes

I wish I had a degree in marketing. Who knew 30 years ago that I would want to start a business. Etsy has opened doors and made home based business reachable for anyone, however it seems to me the successful sellers are people who know how to market themselves and what they do. I have tried the local team, but they seemed to want to sell at shows and at First Friday events and left out those of us who were staying just with Etsy. Luckily I am good on the computer and have figured out blogging and adding links and ads to my blog site. Hopefully this will add traffic to both sites. There is so much to learn and challenges to overcome. I much prefer making the goods than selling them. I love the creation process - find that just right piece of fabric and have it tell me what to do with it.


A friend and mentor of mine has the marketing thing down pat. She does the widest variety of jewelry from fun light hearted stuff to serious Judaic items which I have purchased myself.
You can check her out at A Passion for Fashion at the following link: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5218926




Thank heaven my daughter had a baby and I was there to see my first burp cloth. Who knew? Now it's one of the many things I enjoy making. Applique is my new skill. I love my new Singer Confidence machine that seems to do it all. Now days you can Google anything - and voila there were the instructions for perfect appliques. What can't you learn just sitting at one's computer?
Lucky for me my other passion is my garden. Living in the SW we have the best growing weather starting in January and my garden is now giving me such joy with everything coming into bloom. I plan to add my first roses this weekend. I love roses but they remind me of being old - don't know why but they do - so I held off adding them for the past six years. They grow well here and offer cut flowers all summer. I just hope my humming bird flower bed gives me other offerings for floral arrangements. I opted for gardens instead of a pool and about August I regret that choice due to the extreme hot temps we get. With flowers all summer I may have an easier time this year. Swimming pools are great but very selfsish - look at all the water it takes to fill one. Deserts aren't designed for that.

It's almost warm enough to start hanging the laundry back outside like last summer. I miss the routine and look forward to starting that up again.

Please be sure to check out my new and improved Etsy site. I added a new colorful banner and there are always new items.
Thanks for stopping by.
Hannah
As always, I'm Dreaming in Colors now - For Baby






Atty in his RoslynsCloset onsie. So Cute!!
Click on the link below to go to her shop.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

beautiful picts

Anonymous said...

Poop Deck... that is too funny!