Thursday, May 22, 2008

Wind power and other musings

Let the wind blow....



The other day it was really windy here and it made me think - epiphany actually. Why not have a wind farm? They seem to be cropping up everywhere - Texas and Kansas of all places. The farmers in Kasas are making more on land lease deals for the turbines than they would if they grew crops. The down side to that is the food shortage. Lord will we ever win this battle?

You try to come up with new energy resources and everyone gets excited about bio fuel and wind energy and then discover to costs too much to produce the corn into fuel and there's a shortage for feeding the world and now wind energy is taking acreage out of food production. More people are eating more grains and legums (vegan) and less meat - so it's a total Catch 22.

Anyway, I have 60 acres on a hill in Eastern Washington that is basically made of land fill. Farmers around me tell me I can't grow anything in the crap soil there is so I was thinking... The wind blows constantly, more up top of the hill than at the bottom, which would be great. A guy who bought the plat of land at the far end of my hill built the UGLIEST house I have ever seen ( yellow modular with a theme of SW stucco that didn't work out so well) and he put it smack dab on top of the hill. Hope it blows away someday but in the meantime I figure we could plant a bunch of the turbines on top and down about half way in the center of my hill which will leave me land to raise Romney sheet with a llama and room for my cottage. Brilliant. Income for my old age and energy production. All I have to do is talk to the sheep and garden.

If any of you Greenies know anything about wind farms please let me know! I need help to get this off the ground. I know nadda. I have found a few resouces (see below) but could use your advice, please.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many wind 'farms' are owned and operated by local electric companies. Have you checked with them for information and maybe a bit of advice where to start?
Good luck in you wing farm adventure.

The Midlife Gals said...

The Midlife Gals thank you for dropping by our neighborhood! And, we LOVE your site! So charming.

Please pass us on to all the midlifers you know...and don't forget to watch our nutty videos which can be accessed all along the right side of our pages.

KK and SalGal

PS-How did you find us?

Brian Opalewski said...

I wish I could help you out, but keep up the good work, this is a wonderful idea!!!