Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Finding happiness in the oddest places

I read 'No Impact Man' (http://noimpactman.typepad.com/blog/) every day and this week following a weekend getaway with his 4 yr. old daughter he wrote the following. It made me stop and think about the free things in life that mean so much more than the things we buy. In fact, studies show that people who shop without boundaries have issues they try to fill by shopping. I used to shop when I got bored and then I discovered sewing and knitting and when it got too hot outside to garden those began to fill the void (aka boredom) I was feeling. If my daughter lived closer I would have more to keep me busy and someone enjoyable to do them with.The other thing is how when I was young(er) I lived in a village of sorts. My town had about 50,000 people and yet it seemed everyone knew each other. There was this incredible network between families where if a kid did something coming home from school the word got home before he did. I wish things were more like that now. As busy as we all are - the backup from the 'hood' would be very helpful. No Impact man discovered that too.

What makes me happiest doesn't cost the planet
Posted: 06 Apr 2009 12:00 AM PDT


My little girl Isabella and I just spent the weekend at a gathering at the Providence Zen Center, the head temple of the Kwan Um School of Zen, where I meditate.

There were five or six other kids there and from the moment we arrived Isabella ran around having fun and paying almost no attention to her dad. (She's only four. I thought I wasn't supposed to get the cold shoulder until she was thirteen or so. Sigh!) The entire group helped take care of the kids. Meanwhile, we ate our meals sitting on the floor with friends, took walks in the woods, and caught up on lots of good conversation.

Then, tonight, on my way home, a certain sadness settled in. I just wasn't looking forward to my little family's living situation back in our isolated apartment. I mean, we have a great life, but this weekend I had an intimation of what it could be like to live in a community, a village. And I can't help thinking that if people in modern cultures had the satisfactions of access to community--the connectedness, the shared responsibility--then maybe we wouldn't have to spend our lives chasing after stuff--the consolation prizes--and wrecking the planet.

It points, I think, to a more satisfying way, a way that might just be better for the planet and better for us.

PS Great quote I heard: "Though it is reflected in a thousand rivers, the moon itself is only one."

No comments: